The Hardy Boys

The Hardy Boys

Monday, May 23, 2011

A funny thing happened on the way to the (2nd) doctor's office

So,  I have a middle schooler - Caleb. Caleb is beautiful, tall and skinny with awesome, long eyelashes. He is loving, kind and scary smart. He is independent, stubborn, always right and doesn't like to apologize. Just. Like. Me. (Brian, don't go there.)

Did I mention he's in middle school?  6th grade. Mood swings. Disorganization. Forgetfulness. Hormones. It's a difficult time. For him. For us. One of the most memorable conversations we had this year started with this sentence: "Mommy. The hottest girl in school is in my class." Still calling me mommy. Noticing 'hot' girls. Labeling them 'hot'. What in the world?!? Who is this kid?

On Thursday, after picking him up from school, and then picking up Jacob and Luke from school, a previously chatty, smiley, in a good mood Caleb, went to irritable, angry, kicking his bookbag Caleb - within a 30 minute car ride

I was done.

Done with the mood swings. Done with the irritability. Done with the grumpiness. Done with the constant bickering with his brothers. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done!

I decided to ignore him the rest of the afternoon.

Don't judge.

It will come back to bite you on the butt. Maybe not now, but without a doubt, when you have a middle schooler. I'm just sayin'.

The afternoon proceeded smoothly. Caleb was ignoring me, too. Apparently, his mood swing was caused by something I said.

Then we had to go see our pediatrician to get a prescription refill. We both ignored each other all the way to the doctor's office. Perfect. Two peas in a pod. 

Then my stone cold facade began to break. First of all, we were late. I had written 4:30 on my calendar, but the appointment was actually at 4:10. I was frustrated and upset at myself because those appointments are hard to come by. Thankfully, our wonderful Dr. C was still there and willing to see us. Second, even though we were late and there for something totally unrelated, Dr. C noticed that Caleb's wrist was still sore after a baseball injury nearly a week before and took time to look at it and make recommendations on how to treat it.

Kind, merciful people kind of undo me. (Probably because kindness and mercy are not necesarily my first response.)

So there I was. Mad at Caleb. Late. Mad at myself. Feeling guilty because I hadn't done anything for Caleb's wrist. And about to weep from the kindness of our doctor. (Add 'moody' to things Caleb and I have in common.)

And there we were, on the way to the 2nd doctor of the day, an after-hours orthepedic doctor to have x-rays done on Caleb's wrist. Our conversation slowly warmed up as we discussed whether or not he would have to get a cast.

In the waiting room, filling out at least 45 sheets of medical history, I watched and listened as Caleb got a lesson from an older gentleman about time-shares. My heart was overwhelmed as I watched Caleb listen attentively, smile and even ask questions even though I knew he really wasn't interested. 

Sitting in the second examination room of the day, as Caleb and I discussed x-rays, school exams, even the reproductive health class he would be taking in the next few days, it dawned on me (again) what a sense of humor God has. What should have been a 30 minute trip to the doctor had turned into a whole afternoon of togetherness with the kid I was angry at, frustrated with, over and DONE with.

Thank you, Father, that no matter what, You are never done with me. Regardless of how I act or what I've done, you poke, prod, pull, push and woo me back to you. Your Word promises me that you will NEVER give up on me, and You keep reminding me through my sweet boys, kind doctors and even unexpected trips for x-rays. Please don't stop. "There has never been the slightest doubt in my mind that the God who started this great work in you would keep at it and bring it to a flourishing finish on the very day Christ Jesus appears." (Philippians 1:6 The Message) 


Joy! Laura



Caleb and Jordan on a good day!






4 comments:

  1. You rock.
    I AM sooo glad that He isn't DONE with us yet :). We learn so much through our kids, don't we?
    Love you!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet :) And, Laura, KINDNESS IS the first thing I think of when I think of you girl!!! And... moody doesn't even make the cut on the bottom of the list! You are a great momma!!!
    Ashby :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a good post and boy do we need to remember and be thankful that He isn't done with us. I also see that Caleb has a brace on so thank goodness for Dr. C, the best pediatrician ever!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you worded this wonderfull blog please post more. signed Daniel

    ReplyDelete